Events & Activities
Fun for boys
Bacon Holler Hustle – The Mt. Cross bike race crosses Wyatt, Flattop, and Brokenback Mountains in beautiful Greene County, Virginia. Most of the routes cover steep gravel roads. The final 3.5 miles of each distance (beginner, sport, expert/pro) end on the Blue Ridge School trail system. The Duathlon includes a 5k trail run and 5 mile XC mountain bike race, all on the Blue Ridge School trail system. Visit Webscorer to register for upcoming races or to see previous year’s results. The Mt. Cross and Duathlons benefit the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank.
Brokenback Challenge – An adventure race taking place in the fall where students team up with a teacher to win bragging rights…that is until next year. This relay includes canoeing, trail running, swimming, and mountain biking.
The Great Blue Ridge School Campout – A unique solo reflection experience, where students can sign-up for a night in the wigwam on the mountain on campus.
Ride the Ridge – A yearly mountain bike race (open to the public and part of the Virginia Off-Road Series) taking place on Saturday, April 23 – 10:00am. Visit Webscorer to register for upcoming races or to see previous year’s results.
Weekends provide many opportunities for adventures closer to campus such as:
- Skiing & snowboarding at Wintergreen and Massanutten Resorts
- Fly fishing on the Mooreman’s River
- Rock climbing in the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Backpacking and camping, Shenandoah National Park
- Rafting on the James River
- Biking the Capital Trail, Richmond to Jamestown
Annual Adventure Trips
Each year, a different destination is chosen for an extended adventure. Examples include:
- Fly-fishing and hiking in the Wind River Range, Wyoming
- Backpacking and fly-fishing in the Sawtooth Wilderness, Idaho
- Backpacking on the Appalachian Trail and rafting the Nolichucky River, NC/TN
- Rafting and camping in Desolation Canyon, Utah
- Skiing and snowboarding in Salt Lake City, Utah
- Mountaineering in the Grand Tetons, Wyoming